Utility Technicians include jobs like Electricians, Boilermakers, Instrument and Control Technicians, Substation Mechanics, Relay Technicians, Meter Technicians, Natural Gas Service Specialists, Solar Electric Installers and Technicians, and Energy Auditors. These jobs provide hands-on work opportunities including installation of equipment, monitoring equipment performance, troubleshooting problems, and repairing equipment. Overall, you would be in charge of making sure machines, mechanical equipment, and buildings are working properly and in good condition. If you are good at fixing things, this could be the job for you!
Utility Technician Skills:
- Inspect things like motors and belts, fluid levels, and filters.
- Take apart machines, then repair and replace parts using hand or power tools including hammers, saws, drills, wrenches, and measuring instruments as well as hoists and cranes.
- Use repair manuals to determine and fix problems.
- Keep track of the work you’ve done.
- Do preventative maintenance on machines, mechanical equipment, and buildings, including inspections and testing, installation of new wiring, electrical components, piping and plumbing, machinery, and equipment.
Utility Technicians also need to:
- Be good listeners and be curious about how things work.
- Solve problems and not be afraid to ask questions.
- Concentrate for a long period of time without being distracted.
- Know how to manage their time.
- Be able to stand and kneel in small places.
- Obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
Median Annual Utility Technician Salary: $49,450
From O*NET 8/2018
What’s the Future?
The future of utility technician work is summed up in one word: technology. The technology used in power plants, substations, the smart grid, and other energy infrastructure is constantly advancing within the utility technician’s line of work. It is essential to keep your skills sharp in the field to be an integral part of all that is happening in the energy field! Some emerging utility technician careers in renewable energy include Solar Electric Installer and Technician and Wind Turbine Technician.