Lineworkers install and repair cables, wires and other critical transmission and distribution equipment that help power homes, businesses, hospitals, schools, etc. Other common titles include: Line Installer and Line Technician.
Skills required for lineworker:
- Install necessary equipment on poles.
- Climb poles or use truck-mounted buckets to reach equipment.
- Identify defective devises such as fuses, switches, and wires.
- Safety and use of safety equipment is critical; poles and towers have very high voltages of electricity.
- Inspect and test power lines and other equipment using special reading and testing devices.
- Lay underground cables.
Lineworkers also need to:
- Show a good natured, cooperative attitude.
- Work well with others.
- Listen and understand customer needs and how to meet them.
- Be able to be on your feet for a long time.
- Not mind heights or working outdoors.