Solar Photovoltaic Installers assemble, install, or maintain solar photovoltaic (PV) systems on roofs or other structures. This may include measuring, cutting, assembling, and bolting structural framing and solar modules. Solar Photovoltaic Installers may also perform minor electrical work such as current checks.
Skills required for solar photovoltaic:
- Assemble solar modules, panels, or support structures, as specified.
- Install active solar systems, including solar collectors, concentrators, pumps, or fans. Install Photovoltaic (PV) systems in accordance with codes and standards using drawings, schematics, and instructions. Perform routine photovoltaic (PV) system maintenance on modules, arrays, batteries, power conditioning equipment, safety systems, structural systems, weather sealing, or balance of systems equipment.
- Activate photovoltaic (PV) systems to verify system functionality and conformity to performance expectations.
- Apply weather sealing to array, building, or support mechanisms. Check electrical installation for proper wiring, polarity, grounding, or integrity of terminations.
- Determine appropriate sizes, ratings and locations for all system over current devices, disconnect devices, grounding equipment, and surge suppression equipment.
- Determine connection interfaces for additional subpanels or for connecting photovoltaic (PV) systems with utility services or other power generation sources.
- Determine photovoltaic (PV) system designs or configurations based on factors such as customer needs, expectations, and site conditions.
High School Education
Post-High School Education and Training
A two-year degree is optional. On-the-job training is required for this profession. To view a list of available degree and training programs in your area, use the Google Map locator by clicking below: