Gas Technicians lay pipe for steam and/or gas mains, and are essential for the smooth operation of both electric and gas utilities. Another common job title is Valve and Regulator Repairer.
Skills Required for Gas Technicians:
- Following the directions of others or written instructions to lay out pipe routes.
- Cut pipes to required size and position them for welding or sealing.
- Connect pipe pieces and joints using welding equipment, cement or glue.
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials.
- Find and repair or replace pipes using special magnetic or radio indicators.
- Be safe and use safety equipment.
Gas Technicians also need to:
- Work with little or no supervision.
- Be patient and willing to stick it out when things go wrong.
- Listen and understand customer needs and how to meet them.
- Enjoy working outdoors.
- Obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).